Could you use an extra $1,000 a month? Who couldn’t? That’s $12,000 a year you can use to pay off credit cards and loans, invest, or build an emergency fund. Sounds great, but how do you get there? Impossible? If you’re willing to get creative, there are several ways you can make an extra $1,000 a month.
1. Freelance Graphic Design
Freelance writing can be a lucrative side hustle, but businesses are also in need of graphics and logos to go with their content. If you’re handy with Illustrator, Photoshop, or InDesign and love to get creative, you can make an extra $1,000 a month doing graphic design gigs. Here are a few websites worth checking out:
- Fiverr.com has a booming graphic design section where freelancers can offer their services designing logos, podcast art, Photoshop editing, and much more.
- 99designs is solely dedicated to graphic design, and offers plenty of articles featuring tips and trends about the industry, plus design contests to enter.
- Upwork allows you to apply for both one-time and recurring graphic design jobs with, often, more serious clients who have more long-term needs.
2. Freelance Writing
Clear thinkers make great writers, not English or journalism degree programs. Given that, virtually anybody can make money as a freelance writer. Plus, you get to set your own hours, rates, and even pick the clients and the projects you want. You can easily make an extra $1,000 a month writing by working hard and being reliable. Here are some of the most popular websites for finding freelance writing jobs:
- Fiverr.com allows you to post gigs offering writing services like article writing, e-book writing, social media copy, ghostwriting, and more.
- Upwork is for more long-term work, and allows you to apply for specific writing jobs buyers are seeking. New jobs are posted hourly.
- ProBlogger is a job board packed with high-quality freelance writing jobs, including long-term recurring work.
- Craigslist has a writing section that lists local writing jobs in your area. These may not pay the best, but are a great way to gain experience.
3. Build Websites
Every business needs a well-designed website. And, you don’t need to be a web expert to make money building professional-looking websites. Often, you can charge $500- $1,000+ to create just one website, so you don’t need to overburden yourself to make that extra $1,000 a month. These are some of the major players in the website-building industry you should know. Check them all out to see which offers you the best experience:
- Weebly is an easy-to-use, drag-and-drop website builder started in 2007. More than 50 million sites around the world rely on the Weebly platform. This is a great platform to build a simple website with standard pages. Starts at $6 a month.
- Shopify has a slight learning curve, unlike Weebly. But you don’t need programming skills to reap the benefits of this robust platform. ideal for clients who plan to sell products or services. Started over 10 years ago, they power over 1,000,000+ merchants worldwide. Pricing starts at $29.99 a month.
- WordPress was started in 2003 and now, the majority of websites worldwide are on WordPress. Great for clients who want to create their own blog or add a blog to their website, WordPress offers countless features and a sophisticated publishing system but has the steepest learning curve. Visit Bluehost for pricing.
4. Transcribe Audio
Can you type fast? Fast typists can earn quite a bit of extra money by transcribing audio files into word documents. Many companies are willing to pay transcriptionists to work remotely, so you don’t even have to leave your home. Here is where to find audio transcription jobs:
- TranscribeMe pays $15-$22 per audio hour, with top monthly earners making $2,200 a month. Have a background in medicine or law? The good news: You will be paid an even higher rate.
- Rev pays $21 per audio hour, and is one of the largest and most popular transcription companies used by Amazon, Marriott, Viacom, CBS and others.
- FlexJobs is a great resource to find transcription gigs, plus other remote, part-time, and flexible jobs all over the United States and globally.
5. Teach A Foreign Language Online
If you’re fluent in a foreign language, you can easily make money teaching it online to both kids and adults. If you have a degree or certification in the language, you’ll be able to use your credentials to make even more money teaching. These are some places where you can teach a foreign language online:
- Italki is a platform for teachers and tutors. You can set your own prices.
- VIPKid requires a degree and teaching experience. You can expect to earn $18-$21 per hour teaching English online to children.
6. Fix-and-Flip Furniture
One easy way to make an extra $1,000 a month is by finding and fixing old furniture, then selling it online. You can make some money on eBay or Craigslist with pretty minimal effort. Here are a few tips to help you get started:
- Find free or cheap furniture. Many people give away free furniture on Craigslist, LetGo, Nextdoor or on the side of the road that you can fix up to resell.
- Paint solid wood furniture to improve it. Sanding then applying a fresh coat of paint is one of the easiest ways to make a shabby, old piece of furniture look beautiful and brand new again.
- Watch free YouTube videos to improve your skills. There are plenty of videos teaching you how to paint wood, upholster furniture and other basic carpentry skills. If you’re handy enough, check out Handy for easy repair jobs.
7. Dog Walking
Who wouldn’t want to get paid to hang out with furry friends? Dog walking is a fun way to earn an extra $1,000 a month without having to dive into the world of customer service or retail. Here are a couple of platforms for dog walkers:
- Wag! requires prospective dog walkers to do a phone interview and a background check, but allows you to earn money through on-demand dog walking. Pay averages $17.50 per walk, which means you’d only have to walk 14 dogs a week to make an extra $1,000 a month.
- Rover, unlike Wag!, allows you to earn money through dog walking, plus dog boarding and house sitting too, so it may be more lucrative. Wag also charges higher fees–about 40% at the time of writing.
8. Become A Rideshare Driver
Driving for Lyft or Uber is a flexible way to earn an extra $1,000 a month in your free time. You can easily log on and start driving after you get off work to supplement your income. The benefits of being a rideshare driver include:
- Set your own schedule. Rideshare driving is incredibly flexible, allowing you to work whenever you feel like it.
- Take advantage of peak hours. If you live in a big city, you can easily take advantage of surge pricing by offering rides during peak hours.
- Rent a car through the company. Uber and Lyft both partner with rental car programs that allow you to use a rental car instead of your own car to give people rides.
9. Write e-Books
If you’re an avid writer, you can earn money writing e-books for other people or by self-publishing your own e-books. While ghostwriting e-books lets you collect money upfront, self-publishing allows you to continue generating income well after publication.
- Amazon is the perfect place to self-publish and sell your own e-books via Kindle. The cost of publishing is low since there’s no physical product.
- Fiverr.com is a great place to sell writing services, like ghostwriting e-books for others. Set your own rates and expect to work with clients of all types.
- Upwork is where you can find larger, more lucrative, long-term writing projects. Ghostwriting jobs pay more here, but buyers expect a lot more too.
Our Two Cents
Earning an extra $1,000 a month can help you pay off student loans, build your savings, and splurge on big-ticket purchases or vacations. From designing business cards for clients to becoming a rideshare driver, all it takes is a little time and effort to increase your income and start saving. Take advantage of your free time and check out one of these fun ways to earn some extra money!